This report was written to address five concerns about child support law at the time of its publication, viz.:
- the inadequacy of child support awarded;
- inconsistency of award between similar families;
- inefficiency in assessment;
- inequality based on “legitimacy” of birth; and
- unaddressed complexities based on the inter-relation between spousal support, custody of children, and child support.
This report expounds recommendations for a new approach to child support, which is meant to foster equality for all children, regardless of the nature of the parent-child relationship. The report considers the reasons for child support law, and recommends new policy and procedure which are in accordance with those reasons. The report also gives a template for an independent child support action.